You should notice a performance difference simply because the iPad Mini 2
has the A7 processor whereas the original iPad Mini just as your iPod Touch
and the iPhone 4S have the A5 processor.

Keep in mind that while according to benchmark tests the iPad Mini Retina
comes in at 5 times faster than the original iPad Mini, you will not notice
this difference a lot for day-to-day usage such as checking mail, using the
Music app, Audible app or most likely even browsing. Maybe down the road as
developers start to take advantage of the 64 Bit architecture of the A7
processor we might see performance improvements. Of course this will take
some time and chances are that in 2 or 3 years when this will really start
to happen you will want whatever the latest iPad Mini is then which of
course will yet be much faster as these things go.

It is very easy to find information about this if you Google things like
"iPad Mini Retina performance" or "iPad Mini original vs iPad Mini Retina".
Here is a link and the author's conclusion:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/521945/20131113/retina-ipadmini-benchmarks
-faster-original-ipad-geekbench3.htm

To sum up the benchmark results, here is what John Poole cites on his blog
at Primatelabs.com:

The new iPad mini is substantially faster than the original iPad mini with
an over 5x increase in performance. Given that the iPad mini has the same
processor found in the iPhone 5s and the iPad Air, this isn't terribly
surprising.

However, the new iPad mini is 7% slower than the Air in both single-core and
multi-core tests. While the difference is significant, I don't think it's
significant enough to warrant purchasing an Air instead of a mini for
performance alone. Also, since I expect developers to still support the iPad
2 and the iPad mini for some time I don't expect much software will take
advantage of the A7 processor to the point where that 7% difference will
matter.