Hi Teresa.
The commands are indeed broken, but you can use the rotor as you had
suggested. TO select an option to such as copying selected text to the
clipboard, you would find copy un the rotor setting for edit, and then
press space with dots 3-6 to activate that command. For some reason,
it seems that you cannot activate rotor items reliably with cursor
routing buttons, or at least, this has been my experience. The
commands that I know of that are broken include: select all, copy,
cut, paste, undo, and redo.

Hope this helps,
Scott