David- From my house, I typically get 2 of 3 bars. Do I need to get 3 of 3
in order to be assured of a good update? Thanks-
Cher

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of David Chittenden
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 6:55 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Updating IOS on WIFI hotspot- is this OK?

Sure Christopher. Only, my partner updated over the air using a weak wifi
signal, and her iDevice started having some interesting problems. When she
finally hooked up to iTunes and did a full repair, the problems went away.
Explain that however you choose. As for me, I will only update over wifi
when I have a consistently strong signal.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone

> On 24 Nov 2013, at 10:01, Christopher Chaltain <chalt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'd monitor the wifi strength over time. If it stays pretty consistently
strong then there's no difference between using your friend's wifi or any
other wifi. For me personally, I'd worry more about dropped connections and
having to restart the update process than I would about a corrupted update.
I'm sure Apple has enough checks that it won't start an update until it
knows it has a good image downloaded to your phone. Finally, unless Facetime
isn't working for you, you can just wait until you have access to your PC or
a more reliable wifi network.

>> On 11/23/2013 02:35 PM, David Chittenden wrote:
>> Personally, I would go over to his house. Poor wifi signal means
>> significantly greater chance of corrupted data packets, means greater
>> chance that the update could be corrupted. I wouldn't trust my iPhone
>> to that increased possibility.
>>
>> David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
>> Email: dchitten...@gmail.com <mailto:dchitten...@gmail.com>
>> Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 24 Nov 2013, at 9:26, "Don & Cher Bosch"
>> <oneagleswin...@bellsouth.net <mailto:oneagleswin...@bellsouth.net>>
wrote:

>>> My PC is unavailable- but can access a neighbors' WIFI from my house
>>> (with his consent). Do I need to go over to his house to attempt an
>>> IOS update via WIFI or is it OK as long as I have a signal?
>>>
>>> How long does WIFI IOS update take?
>>>
>>> Many, many thanks to all you on this list who make it possible :)
>>>
>>> Cher

>>> Google Group.
>>>
>>> Post a new message to VIPhone by emailing viphone@googlegroups.com
>>> <mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com>.