Hi Alan,
I tried to update Fleksy on my iPad mini, which is still running IOS 6.1.3
and encountered the exact same thing you did.
I tried removing the app and re-installing it with the same results, the
only difference is that I lost my dictionary and favorites.

I like the punctuation and numbers being accessed on the same page in the
new version, however, I can't manually capitalize letters anymore, which I
used a lot, considering my name is Chuck and my friends name is Mark.

I am not looking forward to the confusion of having different gestures on
my iDevices, if I need to run two different versions of Fleksy. Most of my
typing is on my iPhone, and since I cannot update my Mini, this point is
moot for now.

While I feel the Fleksy team has done some remarkable work with this app, I
fear they dropped the ball this time.
 I am sure they will iron out the bugs eventually.
Chuck