If you have both email addresses associated with your Google Groups account then you should be able to go to http://groups.google.com/group/viphone?hl=en and change your membership options. Note that depending on your screen reader and browser this may not be a very accessible way to do it.

What I would do is to subscribe with your new address, using the URL above or by sending a message to viphone+subscr...@googlegroups.com from your new address. Once you start receiving posts on your new email address then I'd unsubscribe with the old address by sending a message to viphone+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com from your old address.

I assume you've looked into your various Gmail POP options to debug this issue. I did see via Google that there has been the occasional Gmail outage with the POP server, but I didn't see anything that made it sound it was as bad as what you seem to be experiencing. There are a few articles out there on how to set up your Gmail POP options and debug problems with Gmail POP. I don't use Gmail POP anymore, but I haven't had any reliability issues with Gmail IMAP though.