The iPhone has a few mics in it. When away from one's head, speakerphone is
engaged and the omnidirectional mic is active. When next to one's head, the mic
becomes unidirectional. So, when the person rotates the iPhone so the mic faces
up, it only picks up sounds which are above the persons head. As the iPhone is
also utilising active noise cancellation technologies, most quieter sounds from
above the person are filtered out. In other words, it is not actually muting
the mic, it is directing the mic toward an area where the sounds are not
usually very strong, so they generally get filtered out. If one actually wishes
to ute the mic, I would not trust this method to do the job consistently.
However, for a quick and dirty simulation of mute, it is adequate.
David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone