Thank you very much, Chris, and Alex, for your replies.

I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 7.0.4 and still notice the problem.
However, I'm making progress in solving it.  Just a couple of minutes
before reading Alex's post about the sensitivity of swipes, I began
experimenting with the length of the swipe that I use when attempting
to enter a "space" character.  If I increase the length of the swipe,
I don't enter an "at-sign."  A search of the MBraille archives is
turning up messages about Harri's playing with the swite sensitivity,
but I have not yet uncovered information about a hidden command to
change it.  I'll investigate more and, if I can't find anything in the
archives, I'll post to the MBraille list for help.

Craig