Yes, I did say that, and you apparently haven't read the rest of the message
about it. Here is what happens with every app where VO stays in the earpiece,
without exception.

People start complaining on various lists that VO is broken whenever they use
the particular app because they cannot hear VO. This complaining continues
until 1) the app developer sends VO to the speaker, or 2) people cease using
the app.

Now, what do you honestly believe will happen when a person takes the phone
away from the ear and cannot hear, or can barely here, VO? In fact, what will
you personally do? My bet is you will start complaining as loudly as everybody
else. In fact, you can test this for yourself. When on a phone call, take the
phone away from your ear. Perform a two-finger swipe up to get VO reading the
entire screen. Now, hold a couple fingers in front of, and just a little below,
the earpiece. You will very quickly notice that it is extremely hard to hear VO
talking through the earpiece when the earpiece is away from your ear.

Put another way, we intellectually believe that VO would be nice and quiet so
others cannot hear it. We conveniently forget that it being so quiet also means
we can barely, or may not at all, be able to hear it ourselves. Fortunately,
Apple has figured this out, and thus far at least, has ignored this particular
request which keeps coming up every few months.

Oh, by the way, if you want to muffle VO, but still be able to hear it enough,
just place your thumb over the speaker whilst keeping the mic uncovered. The
mic is between the headset jack and the lightning port. The speaker is on the
other side of the lightning port and goes all the way to the edge. This is, of
course, on the 5 and 5S. On the older phones, the mic is on the bottom next to
the side with the volume buttons. The speaker is on the other side of the
bottom. The 30-pin docking port is in the middle.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone