Hi Claudia,

Yes, any iDevice can play MP3 files just fine. As far as whether you have to
go through iTunes to get them onto the device the answer for the most part
is Yes.

However, if you want to listen to audio books you could buy Voice Dream
Reader and then, as long as you also are set up with Dropbox on both your
computer and your iPod Touch, you can compress/zip an audio book folder
which contains MP3 files, then copy said folder into a Dropbox folder (you
could call it Voice Dream" or "iPod Audio Books" or whatever you want.

Now once the book has uploaded and keep in mind that if you have a large
book which is a few hundred Mb, this could take a while, you can now open
Voice Dream and add a book, select that you want to add it from Dropbox and
browse to the folder where you have it saved. Double tap on it and Voice
Dream will download the book into the app (it can be used in offline mode)
and it will then unzip the files and you can listen to the audio book.

Having said all that, my preferred method is to use the free Chapter and
Vers software from Loden Software which lets me convert an audio book with
multiple MP3 files into a single file audio book of the iTunes format (with
extension M4B).

At the end of the conversion Chapter and Vers asks if you want to import the
book into iTunes, you can say Yes and it will show up in your Books library.

>From here all you have to do is connect your phone and either choose to sync
all books or to sync selected books, then check the book or books you want
and press Apply.