You could if you put your family in your favourites and then configure Do Not Disturb to allow calls from only your favourites. You can do this in Settings Do Not Disturb.

Regards Chris

On 20/02/2014 17:47, Van Lant Family wrote:
Thanks, Chris.  I guess the trade off there is  that  I can't get any
emergency phone calls from family if I'm on Do Not Disturb.  Oh well, I
really don't use the iPhone as an alarm that often, but maybe I'll find
new uses for a daytime alarm.

From: "Chris H" <christopher...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:59 PM
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Alarm Clock setting when you don't have Siri

Yes use Do Not Disturb. Go to Control Centre and it's in there. It's a
toggle.

Regards Chris

On 20/02/2014 04:20, Van Lant Family wrote:
Thanks for responding on this question.  Setting the alarm was as easy
as indicated and, much to my relief, went off at the specified time.
however, I also was awoken by a text message from my bank arriving at
5:00 AM, an hour before my desired get up.  Is there something that you
can do to not hear that stuff, but still use the alarm function?

Thanks
Robin