Brent, as you say, Google wouldn't want other app providers to have access to all of its API, now would they?
Cheers
Alex
On 04/03/2014 21:59, Brent Harding wrote:
Couldn't these apps and devices use the same method that the Gmail site uses in the browser calling thing? I would assume that all of that is protected by keys and signatures embedded in the scripting the browser pulls down when you are logged into that.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Raul A. Gallegos" <r...@raulgallegos.com>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 8:25 AM
Subject: Clearing up the change with Google Voice - Was Re: A Bit Surprised That This Hasn't Made It To The List Yet

Hi, really late on this thread, but Google Voice is not restricting 3rd-party apps exactly. They are restricting the 3rd-party app access to things which use the Google Talk protocol for voice calls. This means that Phone Bridge boxes like the Obihai hardware will no longer work as a solution to free phone lines via voip like what many people, including myself have. It also means in most cases that 3rd-party apps like talkatone will no longer be able to use Google Voice to make 3g or wi-fi calls. However the texting portion of Google Voice and the call forwarding from what I understand is remaining the same.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
They say "You are what you eat." This humors me because I don't remember eating a bowl of Amazing lately. - Sheldon Cooper