That's because the ipod touch 4th generation doesn't support ios 7. You are using ios 6.

-----Original Message----- From: rubyalphonse
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2014 9:54 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Trouble opening the app switcher under 7.1

Hi Richard, in my I Pod Touch 4 it doesn’t work like that. When I double click the home button on my IPod Touch, APP Switcher opens, but, to open the applications double tap. For instance, my audio books when I want to close in IPod Touch, it says to double tap to open, where as in this IPhone 5, I can close the applications with swyping with my three fingers up. Is there anything to do with the settings? Thank you Ruby