Hi Alan,

First I suggest she resets her router by unplugging it, wait at least 30
seconds and then plug it in again. She should then wait at least 3 minutes
as some routers can take that long to boot up again and reestablish the
WiFi.

Next I think it would be better for her to go to Settings, General, Reset
and select the "Reset All Network Settings" option. She will be prompted to
confirm and then the phone will turn off and reboot.

This will reset all modems in the phone and is a much better solution then
to just forget the network and try to reconnect to it.

It will require her to enter her WiFi password again once she connects to
her network.

It is unlikely that WiFi issues require her to replace the phone, there are
2 other main issues one has to look at first. Resetting the router and
network settings is the first step.

Now, one other major issue is interference from other wireless devices. Of
course I don't know what other wireless devices she has and also I don't
know what router she has and how old it is. Last year I had a major issue
with my WiFi at my store, both my iPhone and that of my manager always
dropped off the WiFi and often didn't connect at all. I tried everything,
bought a new router and even bought a high-end wireless access point always
with the same result. At some point I had this major insight and it turned
out the issue had nothing to do at all with my router or phone. I had a
Creative X-Fi connected to my computer via USB. This is an external
soundcard/sound device which works by connecting the main unit to the
computer via USB and selecting it as your default audio device. The second
receiver unit was in my office about 40 feet away and it was connected to a
set of speakers. This meant I didn't have to run a long cable from my
computer room to my office for audio as quite often they pick up a noise in
theform of a hum. Anyhow, I disconnected this wireless sound device which
also was using 2.4 Ghz and all my WiFi problems completely disappeared. This
is a good example of something one may not think of being the cause of a
major problem.

Lastly, as I said before, she should ask herself if her router is fairly old
and might need replacing. One can pick up some pretty inexpensive routers
these days, but I think this is one of these examples where you get what you
pay for. One maybe doesn't need the most expensive $130 to $180 router, but
I would probably not spend less than $80 on a router and Google "top rated
routers" or something like that to find a good one. The high-end Asus
routers are very highly rated and so are the higher-end Linksys, Netgear or
D-Link ones.

Ever since I took this wireless audio think out of the equasion I never have
a problem any more, also at my home I rarely experience what Anthony said
about internet music streams dropping out when he locks the phone.