Tried this a few times with no success. Below is the text of the response I got
from Apple:

  Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We continue to investigate the
issue, but in the meantime, there is a potential workaround you may want to try:

When you find that the keyboard is not entering any characters, try using
Control+Option+Right then Left arrow to move away from the field and then back
again. If that does not work, please do this two times in a row
(Control+Option+Right then Left arrow+Right then Left arrow). While this will
not necessarily keep the keyboard from entering this state again, it should
clear the state each time.

If you continue to have issues, please let us know.

Apple Accessibility