Hello,

Personally, I would not invest in a pair of AirPlay speakers. As you noted,
it's an apple only format where as bluetooth is an open standard. If you get
airplay for free in your Apple TV or your Airport Express, great, but in my
humble opinion, there are few reasons to use airplay, and I think you are
realizing this for yourself too.

The use case I see for Airplay are:
1. You have incredible hearing and can hear the difference between the data
rates of bluetooth and airplay. Airplay should be able to push more data if
your music is stored in a higher quality format. I personally believe the
speaker quality is a bigger factor, and most people have MP3 files anyway.
2. You need extended range. Bluetooth really gives you about 33ft of range
before it starts to break up. Wifi will give you a longer range.
3. You have a large power requirement for the sound output, aka a receiver or
amp, and airplay via an Apple TV will be good for that.

I use airplay via myApple TV for the receiver, but bluetooth for portable
speakers around the house. I think Bose is over priced and over rated, but
their Mini SoundLink 3 at$200, is surprisingly competitive.

Not sure I helped or gave you more questions.  Good luck.

--k
Faith doesn't give you the answers, it merely stops you from asking the
questions.