Hi all,

For those who deal with lots of numbers, or have to help your sighted
children with homework, or if you work with blind children learning
fractions,  or if you find yourself having to juggle any sort of fractions
for work or home, please take a look at the following iOS app called
Fractions Calculator by Palasoftware. It is one of the most accessible apps
I've ever used. I will post some "getting started" suggestions after the
iTunes app store description. Best buy for $1!

Description

Fractions are everywhere and the Fraction Calculator is designed to ease the
task of working with fractions with its simple and intuitive calculator
style interface.

The Fraction Calculator feels and behaves exactly like a calculator with one
exception, you're working with fractions. So now when homework (checking of
course) calls for fractions, or your carpentry project needs you to add
eighths and sixteenths dozens of times, or maybe you just want to be able to
recalculate that dinner recipe to accommodate for five rather than two -
turn to the Fraction Calculator.

Fraction Calculator allows for adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing
both positive and negative fractions, displaying the results both as a
fraction and a decimal. There are also functions to allow for simplifying,
reciprocals, squares and square roots.

Fraction Calculator is fully VoiceOver accessible.

More.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fraction-calculator-by-palasoftware/id864269023?mt=8

When you launch the Fractions Calculator for the first time the screen
structure is as follows:

The very top line conveys the numbers you are manipulating as well as
conveying the final calculation after pressing the = icon. I suggest you
start here and begin exploring by moving from top of screen and swiping to
the right until you've explored the entire screen.

 As you move your finger around the screen, you will actually be exploring 3
different keypads. The small keypad for the whole numbers is on the
left-hand side of the screen towards the middle. The small keypad for the
Numerator (top part of the fraction) will be at the top of the right hand
side of the iOS screen. The small keypad for the denominator (bottom half of
fraction) will be at the bottom of the right side of the iOS screen. The
cool thing about this app is that if you leave your finger long enough on
the various keypads, you will be informed if your finger is on the whole
number, numerator, or denominator--you will never get lost with this
interface.

Let's add 1/2 and 1/3.

Clear the calculator by swiping from top of screen to the right about 3
times until you find the "Clear" button and double-tap.

Now simply place your finger on the iOS screen then find your way over to
the numerator keypad. The numbers are arranged like any typical computer
keyboard numpad calculator with small numbers at the bottom and larger
numbers at the top of the keypad. On this Fractions Calculator I find it
best to split tap on the numbers, which means I move my index finger over
the 1 in the numerator then use my middle finger to split tap on the screen.
The 1 in the numerator is now entered.

To enter the denominator of 2, I simply use my index finger to locate the
small keypad at bottom right hand side of screen and locate the 2 then
perform a split tap.

The fraction 1/2 is now entered, and you can confirm this by going to the
top of the screen and swiping from left to right. You will hear "1
numerator," and if you swipe to the right once again you will hear "2
denominator." As an added reassurance, if you keep swiping to the right a
couple more times, you will find that the number is presented as a
decimal--in this case 0.5.

I then move to the bottom of the screen and locate the =s sign then move
over to the right a bit more to locate the "Plus" icon (it is above the
"Times" icon). I split-tap this button to enter the plus sign because I want
to add another number to 1/2.

I now enter 1/3 using the same split-tap procedure described above.

When I'm ready to add the two fractions I simply split-tap on the equals
button or I double-tap on it. The equals button can be found at bottom left
hand corner of screen.

After pressing equals, I can now move to the very top of the screen by using
a 4-finger single tap, and I swipe to the right to review my answer: 5/6.

Incredibly simple! I love this thing.

You can also edit the whole number, numerator, or denominator without having
to enter the fraction once again. You can also use VoiceOver to review each
number in the final calculation. Even with large numbers VoiceOver will
speak them as whole numbers rather than single digits.

I realize my explanation seems a bit involved, but it is only because I want
the new user to have an easy transition into using this incredibly
accessible fractions calculator.

I'll let you guys explore a bit more on your own, but if you have absolutely
any questions please ask. <Smile>

Joseph