Incidentally, I am indeed a T-Mobile customer using an iPhone 5.

DJ

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of M. Taylor
Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2014 3:52 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: What To Do If You Are Recieving Unwanted iMessages

Hello All,

This is for all iOS iMessage users.

Yesterday, I posted about what to do if you are an A T & T customer and you
receive unwanted SMS SPAM.

Now of course, in iOS 7.x, you can block the offending sender of incoming
SMS messages be they standard text messages or iMessages directly from your
iOS device.  If that works for you, great.

As for me, however, merely blocking something locally on my device does not
seem to make me feel better.  That is why I did some research and discovered
the short code to which A T & T customers are supposed to forward their
unwanted SPAM in order to give A T & T a heads-up on who is gaming its
network.

What I did not mention in my previous post on this, is that, apparently,
none of the US wireless providers have any control over what is sent via
iMessage.  Consequently, if you forward an iMessage to the A T & T SPAM
alert short code number (and I assume this is true for Verizon Wireless as
well) you will receive a thank you message requesting that you reply with
either the telephone or short code number of the offending spammer.

What?

Many iMessages don't display a phone number; in fact, they most often
display an email address.

Consequently, if you are receiving unwanted iMessage SPAM, and you want to
report it to Apple in addition to blocking is locally on your device, you
must do the following in accordance with Apple's instructions.

Interestingly, I checked with approximately 20 or so people, today, all of
whom use iMessage on three of the US's four major wireless carriers
including A T & T Wireless, Verizon Wireless, and Sprint.  All of the
T-Mobile customers I know are Android users. Hmm.

Anyway, many of those with whom I contacted reported either having received
their first iMessage SPAM or an increase in the number of iMessages
received, this week.

But I digress.  Getting back on point, I followed the instructions below in
order to report my iMessage SPAM and now I feel much better.  I hope that
after reading the following instructions, you will feel better as well.

Mark

>From Apple:
Reporting unwanted messages sent from iMessage

If you're seeing unwanted iMessages (spam) in Messages app, you can report
those to Apple.

To report unwanted iMessage messages to Apple, please send an email with the
following details to: imessage.s...@icloud.com

1.
Include a screenshot of the message you have received.

2.
Include the full email address or phone number you received the unwanted
message from.

3.
Include the date and time that you received the message.

To take a screenshot:

To take a screenshot on your iOS device, press and release the Sleep/Wake
button and the Home button at the same time. The screenshot is added to your
Camera Roll album.

To take a screenshot in OS X, simultaneously press the Command + Shift and
the number 3 key on your keyboard. The screenshot is saved to your Desktop
folder.

Additional InformationNote: Report unwanted ("spam") SMS and MMS type
messages to your cellular provider. Contact your carrier for additional
details.

Look in the Messages conversation thread to determine if a message was sent
via iMessage. Messages sent via iMessage are labeled as "iMessage" above the
message in the text field. SMS and MMS type messages read "Text Message"
instead.