Hi, Terri,

You can check out AppleVIS.com and find reviews of barcode apps. There are apps like Red Laser which the general public uses which seem to work well enough for use with VoiceOver.

If you are talking about scanning UPC barcodes as found on commercial products like food, then it's hard to beat Digit-Eyes. It has an extensive database accessed through an internet connection. It takes some practice learning both where to anticipate the location of barcodes and then where to hold the iPhone for capturing the barcode, but that's true for any app.

If you are talking about reading QR barcodes that's a bit different in my mind. At my work I have used Digit-Eyes to create QR barcodes labels containing text which I use for labelling an inventory of items. Although Digit-eyes will read the QR codes, I found another QR code reader app that works far better. It is called Quarkode QR Reader, by an Italian developer, APSIS BI PAPOSS BARIO & C. S.A.S. It is much more forgiving in locating a barcode, it immediately speaks the text without having to touch the screen to navigate to the location where the text is displayed, and it is ready to scan another barcode without touching the screen again. The only feature I haven't found on it is a means to turn the flash on and off. But, it seems to work better than many other apps in low light levels. I have reviewed this app on AppleVIS.

HTH,
Jeff