From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of todd patkus
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 1:06 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: just one question

DJ,

Actually, with my experience, Google is not alone for pre/downloading such;
GPS does the same even on an iPhone by sighted, and it always takes a few
minutes for it to accomplish the pre/downloading!

I have seen that happen to many sighted.

No difference!

Even with Braille devices, Google does not work well.  Not very accessible
at all.

That is just my observation.

Todd

offcourse you
>will not have turn by turn nbavigation until you get back on
course or
>unless you go online and update the route.  I've used Google maps
for quite
>some time very successfully both online and offline, and on trips
as short
>as two miles and as long as 600 miles.  It worked wonderfully in
both cases..
>One of the 600 mile trips was even tested while offline.  I was
very
>impressed that there did not appear to be a change in the apps
performance
>regardless of whether I was online or not.

>DJ

On Behalf
>Of Victor Gouveia
>Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 11:46 PM
>To: viphone@googlegroups.com
>Subject: Re: just one question

>Hi Alex, You may be right in the case of Blind Square, but I'm
not sure
>you're right about Google Maps, or Seeing Eye GPS though because
this would
>make the particular apps expensive to use, and therefore not at
all viable
>for the majority of the blind public.

>I would think that only the GPS components use out and about
features, and
>not necessarily the map data, but I may be wrong.

differently,

>though.  Some do let you download map files ahead of time, such
as Google
>Maps, but others need a constant or semi-constant data
connection, including

<victor.gouv...@rogers.com
>wrote:

>> Alex Said:

>> Second, the iPad with an external receiver will do GPS, but most
>> mapping/navigation apps need to pull map data from some server
or other,
>> necessitating a data connection.

>> ***

>> No, even standard GPS devices purchased for drivers don't pull
map data
>> from servers out and about, they are usually updated manually
over the
>> internet via a Wi-Fi connection, or, if you have a data
connection,
>> depending on how large the map update file is.

>> Either way, the GPS receiver is just to ping off a satellite or
tower to
>> help the GPS locate you, the maps are a separate feature.

>> Just thought I'd point that out.

>> Victor Gouveia
>> Vice-President
>> Training Coordinator
>> VIP Tech
>> Tel: 1-888-640-6661
>> Fax: 1-888-640-6669
>> Home: victor.gouv...@rogers.com

apps, and GPS

>> is your thing, do the iPhone.  Otherwise, choose between the
iPad and iPod
>> Touch, depending on how much you want to spend and how large a
device you
>> want.  Also remember that we have the iPad Mini in the mix.
Good luck!
<victor.gouv...@rogers.com
>> wrote:

>>> Hi Peter,

>>> I also think it would be worth noting that unless you get the
iPad with
>>> 3G support, the iPad doesn't make you pay a certain amount per
month, as
>>> it only works on Wi-Fi, and not a data connection through a
carrier.

>>> So, if you take this into account when doing the calculations...

>>> an iPad and iPhone are roughly the same price, keep in mind that
I'm
>>> referring to the Wi-Fi version of the iPad, not the 3G version.

>>> The costs are roughly the same, give or take a hundred bucks or
so, but
>>> when getting the iPhone, your carrier will charge you anywhere
from 30 to

>>> 50 dollars per month, so your paying 30 to 50 dollars per month
in
>>> addition to the iPhone's already inflated price.

>>> Even if you get it on a contract, most carriers will insist you
get the
>>> iPhone on a 2 year contract, so you can expect to pay anywhere
from 199
>>> to 350 for the phone, plus another 30 to 50 dollars per month
for
>>> twenty-four months, and you're looking at paying an extra 700 to
1200
>>> dollars on top of what you paid for the phone.

>>> In addition to this, some carriers will charge you to unlock
your phone
>>> at the end of your contract, and this could cost you another 30
to 75
>>> dollars, at which point, you can now do what your iPad has done
all
>>> along.

>>> In any case, if you're budget conscious, then the iPad would be
the way
>>> to go, at which point, if you want to use the iPad as a
navigation
>>> device, you'll have to spend a little more for the external GPS
receiver,

>>> but even then, it still comes out cheaper than the iPhone.

>>> Keep in mind that the above are based on what I know about the
major
>>> carriers in Canada and the US, but I doubt the pricing is much
different
>>> in other areas.

>>> Victor Gouveia
>>> Vice-President
>>> Training Coordinator
>>> VIP Tech
>>> Tel: 1-888-640-6661
>>> Fax: 1-888-640-s6669
>>> Home: victor.gouv...@rogers.com

have a lot

>>> of information.  Basically, though, the pros of an iPad over an
iPhone
>>> are:

<bouncingoffbutt...@gmail.com
>>> wrote:

> [...]