I use Ting as my mobile provider (Sprint MVNO). Fortunately their iOS app is
completely Voiceover accessible, but the website works just as fine. There I
can check the breakdown of my daily usage (minutes, messages and data) along
with by device as my wife is on my plan.

Just the other day in fact, I wrote them after reviewing our data usage and
saw that on Monday the 23rd, her data usage was calculated at 240 odd mbs.
This pushed us over one of the data pricing levels. On average we use
between 200 and 350 mbs a month. I pointed out to them that forget the fact
that both she and I work from home and use our WiFI for most of our internet
needs, but that it seems rather incredible that she alone would use more
data in one day than we both do in a month. I told them that they could
track where she went that day and that they would see she only went to
Target and the bank on that day so where would all this 3g usage be coming
from?

Anyway, to make a long story short, they ended up giving me a credit on my
next bill bringing my charges down to what my regular usage would cost as
they acknowledged that that data spike was unusual. They gave me the whole
break down of how iPhones are over performers and to check background app
processes that may be downloading, etc. This we do anyway, but I didn't feel
it necessary to get into a back and forth with them about our iPhone habits.
Especially as they had already given me the credit.

I make it a point to check my daily breakdown periodically in case of an
instance such as this. Thankfully though, this has been the only time I've
encountered such an issue and Ting was good about compensating me without
any hassle. I don't know who your carrier is, but perhaps they have an iOS
app that can give you the daily breakdown similar to how Ting does?

Maybe