Hi Isaac,

I haven't tried this, but I don't this is officially "supported" by Apple
because if it were they would make it easier. I also think this might be
even more difficult to do with Voiceover and in any case, I don't think
Andrew wants to move one folder into another by the same name, but he wants
to just have 1 folder with said name.

So, Andrew, here is your only solution, this in any case is how I would do
this:

I would move one of the 2 folders to a blank home screen and I would do this
with the folder that has fewer apps in it.
Now I would open that folder and move all the apps out of the folder to that
blank home screen, just double tap and hold, after you hear the tone move
your finger up towards the top and hold until Voiceover tells you the app
has moved out of the folder. After the last app is out of the folder it will
most likely go away by itself, if not, just double tap on it while you are
still in moving/editing mode and delete it.
Now move you r other folder to that home page and move all the apps into it.
When you are done you can put it back to whichever home screen you want it
on.