From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:10 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Proper way of connecting an iDevice to simultanious dualband
WiFi?

Hello Rick,

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can
connect your iPhone to both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands your router broadcasts
at the same time.
Your router most likely broadcasts 2 SSID's (one for 2.4 and 1 for 5 Ghz)
and my recommendation is to connect to the 5 Ghz band since your iPhone is
capable of that although it is only capable of the IEEE 802.11N standard and
not the higher-throughput 802.11AC standard.

Your router is probably capable of providing simultaneous connections to
devices on the 2.4 and 5 Ghz spectrum, but a device like an iPhone or a
laptop can only connect to either one of them.

As for 802.11AC, it was approved only in January of this year so while some
devices came out before that supporting the draft version of 802.11AC, the
final version was not approved until early this year which is why apple
probably did not include it on the 5S and 5C or last fall's iPads.