Hello Andrew,

Kobo is complex to set up and has changed many times in the years I've been
using it.

When you launch Kobo, you should find the Library button at the top left of the
screen, just under the signal strength indicator for your mobile carrier.
Double tap the Library button.
You should find a button labeled Nav Menu icon iPhone. Double tap this and,
sweeping right from the top left, you should find
Home, Library, All, Books, Magazines, Kobo collections and lots more. Double
tap on Books.
Your books should then appear. Double tap on the book you want to read.
Sometimes, you have to do this several times before it works.
With a book open, you need to double tap anywhere on the screen to bring up the
tool bar at the bottom, but with VoiceOver active, you can't access the
Settings screen. You need sighted help to get it set up. The page transition
style you need is Scrolling. After that, a two-finger swipe up the way will
read the whole chapter.

At the end of the chapter, double-tap the link at the bottom right of the
screen to go to the next chapter. A three-finger swipe up will turn the pages
should you be interrupted in the middle of a chapter. It also works well with a
Braille display.

Cheers,

Anne