Hello listers,

I posted a couple of weeks ago about an issue I've been having when
recharging my iPhone 5 with either the USB port on my computer or with an AC
wall outlet. I'm doing my recharging with the Apple branded cables that came
with my iPhone. I thought my problem of the phone not being recognized and
set to charge when plugging it in was related to a faulty lightning cable
but I've replace that through AppleCare and am still having the same
problem.

Someone suggested that I try a shot of compressed air in the connector port
to remove any dust, etc. that might have come from my pocket where I carry
the phone. However, the phone will charge as it's supposed to if I flip the
cable connector over and try plugging it in again. This often works but I
more than occasionally will hear the phone make the connection tone
repeatedly as if it's not sure of a good connection.

Since I've eliminated the lightning cable as the issue, what else goes wrong
on these phones to cause such a problem? Do the connector ports where the
cable plugs in ever go out? This seems like an odd thing to fail. I know
we've seen many posts about the iPhone 5 and problem batteries but I got
mine replaced in October of 2013 so it's well outside the range of those
recalled serial numbers.

I'd welcome any comments on what might be the issue. I suspect this is one
of those problems that would mysteriously disappear if I tried duplicating
it in the Apple Store.

Alan Lemly