Actually, all of this can probably be done over the phone without going in
unless you want to do that. I know a friend who works with Verizon just porting
numbers when people call in and also once you get your new iPhone, you just
turn off your old phone before  setting up the new one and that deactivates the
old one. I don't think they have to do any hands-on programming for you to put
your old phone on another line on your account and add that line. In fact, I
did something like this a couple of years ago except that a number port wasn't
involved. You may decide it's easier to go in but I think it actually isn't
necessary. It's amazing how much they can do just with you calling in.
--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day: