Verizon would know better than we.

you! really! are! finished!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sarah Clark
  To: viphone@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2014 10:24 AM
  Subject: Verizon contract/upgrade question

  Hello,
  I have an iPhone 4s through Verizon and have not upgraded since my 2 year
contract period ended a year ago. I am on one of the older individual plans
from prior to when they changed over to their family plans, and my plan is
cheaper than what I could get now as an individual. If I buy a subsidized phone
from them now and agree to a new 2 year contract, will I lose the plan I am
currently under and have to move to one of the newer ones that would be more
expensive? What about if I want to take advantage of the trade in promotion
they are offering now for older iPhones which requires a new 2 year contract..
would I lose my current plan price in that case?
  I've never upgraded a smartphone so I don't know what it does to your plan,
and I wouldn't necessarily trust what Verizon told me if I were to call and ask
them. (I know someone with AT&T and he has always been able to upgrade by
buying a new subsidized phone and still keep his unlimited plan, but different
carriers may very well act differently.)
  Thanks,
  Sarah