Well I’m backing up to both iCloud and iTunes so we will see, need store
associate to activate it for me and two years ago I was able to use iCloud to
restore my late husband’s 5 after they activated it.

From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Paul Ferrara
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:02 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: ways of backing up your iphone

Others may be  able to better tell you which way is best to back up your device
and might be able to give even better reasons for their claims, but I can tell
you I would definitely back it up using iTunes before you get a new device.
Make sure all your purchases including apps. music, etc. are saved to your
computer. The problem with using an iCloud backup is that, at least when the
iPhone 5 came out, if you did not download from the cloud before setting up the
device, you could not do it; you got one chance only.

So if the store associate sets up stuff on the phone, you cannot get the backed
up cloud version.

So I would say it’s best to back up with iTunes and then immediately restore
the new device with the backup from iTunes.

Paul