IOS 8 runs fine on an iPhone 4S. You'll run into the same issues found in IOS 8 on all iPhones. I think some complicated web pages and email messages load a bit slower than they did on IOS 7, but other than that it actually seems snappier in most places.

I don't know what you mean by space. You don't free up any space by installing IOS 8, unless the images have already been downloaded. I'm not sure how big the install images are, but you'll get that space back after you install those images.

I almost didn't read this message because I'm not interested in home sharing at the moment. The best thing to do to ensure your message and question gets noticed is to start a new thread with a new message to the mailing list and not hijack another thread on a completely unrelated topic by just replying to another message on the list.