I found the following to Apple Help pages very informative about Family Sharing
& purchases.

If I understand it correctly...

The family organizer is responsable for all purchases, unless a family member
has store credit or gift cards.
If the Family Organizer has store credit or gift cards, they are not shared
with the family members.  So let’s say Dad is organizer with store credit,
family member daughter buys a song, that song is charged to Dad’s form of
payment, not his store credit.

The other piece of the puzzle, who ever initiates the selection song, app, tv
show, that person is the owner of that media.  If someone leaves the family
sharing group, they own whatever they selected for purchase.

Insert, sigh of understanding here.  Lol, why I looked at all of this, is
because I received a gift card today, and I am not the Family organizer, so I
was curious how it would all work out.  I can spend the gift card, we all can
share what I purchase, as long as I am apart of the family group.  :)

Here are the 2 pages I have been reading.

Family Purchases & Payments
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201079?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

How iTunes purchases are billed
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5582

Hope all that info is helpful.  Let me know if you believe I am miss
understanding any part of it.

Traci