What are the pros and cons of these different scanners? I know everyone likes KNFB Reader, but is there anyone of these that comes close, what would be the advantage of something like this Giraffe over something like KNFB Reader? Thanks, sorry for any confusion on my part.

Eden
On 11/16/2014 7:58 PM, Dean Martineau wrote:
Here are various things to keep in mind.  Giraffe Reader is far easier to set
up than StandScan, but Giraffe Reader doesn't work on the 6 and 6 plus.

I honestly don't know, and I doubt people have run comparisons, but I suspect
that the KNFBReader flash feature will provide enough life, making the sort of
cumbersome light in the StandScan, indeed the need to buy that version,
unnecessary.  Light is very important, and the flash invoked by KNFBReader
should provide enough.  In some situations you can use the flashlight invoked
by KNFBReader, though this in conjunction with the flash will usually give you
too much light.

Scanning books will be a challenge because of the binding, and I don't know how
books will scan with any stand.  Probably at least better than not scanning
them at all, though

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Julia
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2014 6:44 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: giraffe reader versus stand scan.

hi list.

I have just purchased the Knfb reader. Granted I have only played with
this app for a little while, but I find, given my spatial orientation
difficulty,that I am having trouble positioning the iPhone the correct
number of inches above the page I would like to scan.  If I do enough
fiddling, I can manage to get all four edges in the camera's viewfinder.

I have tried this with both a small and large hardback book.  I have
used the page that is the straightest for testing.

Given this problem, I am considering buying either the giraffe reader,
or the stand scan. I am leaning towards the giraffe reader, because of
its portability factor, but am wondering if the light provided by the
Knfb readers flashlight,as well as the flash on the camera, are enough
to suffice in most environments? are there situations where the stand
scan, because of its built-in light,would perform better than the
giraffe reader?

how important is lighting to the results of the scanning process?

Thank you very much for your help.
Julia.