Hi Sieghard. Putting them in the tones folder works even better. I didn’t think
about doing that. And because it’s likely no other application will play an m4r
file, it will, as you say, open in iTunes and be ready to sync.

Neal

From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 11:48 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Importing ring tones into IPhone6 with IOS8.1.1 using ITunes

Hi Neil,

Using the automatically add to iTunes folder works fine, I usually just copy my
ringtones straight into the ringtones folder and just press enter on them. This
starts them playing in iTunes at which point they are also added to the
database and are ready to be synced.

It is of course necessary to use some sort of application to cut the ringtone
off at no more than 40 seconds. I usually use iTunes because this way I don’t
have to install and use another program to do so. The only time I play around
with the start time is when a particular song has a really slow start or when a
40 second section in the middle of the song just sounds better. If I just need
the first 40 seconds I just set the end time to 00:40, then bring up the
context menu on the song and select the “Create AAC Version”. This creates a
copy of the 40 second portion of the song I selected in Apple’s format wit the
M4A extension. I then go to it again by bringing up the context menu and I
select “Show in Windows Explorer”. Then I copy it to the ringtones folder,
change the extension from m4a to m4r and play it so it gets added to my library.

I can complete the entire process from setting the end time to having the
ringtone on my phone in less than 2 minutes.