Dear Susan,

As my article mentions, the first step in joining the iPhone tribe is
in learning about the coverage and reliability of the wireless service
in your area, the area to which you are moving, and the places where
you visit frequently. A family member’s relationship with AT&T may be
a perfect fit for them.  It may not be for you, particularly if you
live or travel to places the other person does not. Once you have
figured out if all, some or none of the four national wireless
networks have consistent and reliable coverage, it is then time to
focus on prices. T-Mobile has low-priced plans, although these are not
advertised and not available in stores. The deals come for the other
three carriers when resellers buy data and airtime in bulk at a deep
discount and resell it at very low prices.  A just released survey by
Consumer Reports found high dissatisfaction with the major national
carriers but high customer satisfaction levels from the resellers. You
can enjoy nearly all the benefits from the sprint, AT&T or Verizon
networks at one-half to one third of the cost of what most of those
customers pay. True, the resellers do not offer the roaming the big
boys offer, but unless you plan to go to sparsely populated areas
regularly, like the upper peninsula of Michigan or northern Nevada, it
is not an issue for most people.

The 5S will cost less, but it is important to realize that iPhones
essentially have an expiration date.  This is because the iOS software
and apps will no longer be useful long before the solidly built and
well-manufacture iPhone breaks and cannot be repaired. If the iPhone
is kept in a hard shell case and away from water, the hardware will
last for many years. Apple stops supporting iPhones after about four
years from first release.  If Apple maintains past practices, the 5S
will receive its last major iOS in 2017 and will not take new updates
starting in fall 2018.  You will pay more for the iPhone 6, but you
will have a year longer of use along with a better camera for OCR on
the fly and Apple Pay, which could be a much bigger thing in the
future.

Kelly