From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Neal Ewers
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2014 11:44 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Very scary moment when updating to 8.1.1

Well, I think I have had my scare for today. I was updating my wife’s iPhone 5C
to 8.1.1. I updated my phone not long ago.

I backed up her phone, took everything out of the app switcher, and rebooted
the phone.

The update went flawlessly until I got to the very end. I was sitting there
thinking how easy they had made this, when all of a sudden I heard the
following message.

Can no longer connect to this iPhone.

Yikes! What to do now. Well, I believe the phone was still booting because soon
after that, I heard the vibration and VoiceOver began speaking. My wife doesn’t
use VoiceOver, but I turn it on when I am working on her phone. So, well done,
I thought, that was just a minor glitch. The iPhone began to speak. Problem is,
it was speaking in Japanese, or some other similar sounding language I couldn’t
understand. Double Yikes! What to do now? I suppose I could go figure out how
to get to language change on my phone and do the same steps on her phone.
Interestingly, the time, battery status, WiFi status was all in English but the
message I had to deal with was in that other language. I was just about to put
plan B into operation, when, out of the blue, the phone began to speak in
English.

So, all is well.

I bring this up in the hopes that it won’t happen to someone else, but in case
it does, perhaps waiting for a while will work the same as it did for me.

Perhaps I should learn Japanese?

Neal

to viphone+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
<mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com> .