The article read that their only service in the states was Sonos exclusive. Maybe that's changing though. I'm not sure what Pandora's bit rate is out of the apps, but I think it's probably 64k aac or something.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Werner" <coffeeb...@gmail.com>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2014 9:41 AM
Subject: Re: Deezer offers lossless music streaming for Sonos users

A very thoughtful post, Sieghard.

Deezer is expanding its U.S. market beyond its Bose and Sonos
offerings.  Check with www.deezer.com if you are interested in
following this growing company, headquartered in Paris.

Craig

On 11/29/14, Sieghard Weitzel <siegh...@live.ca> wrote:
Hello all Sonos and music enthusiasts,

Below is a link to an article which describes how Deezer, a music service
which has pretty much all the same features and an even larger collection
of
music than Spotify is now offering hi-fi streaming for Sonos users. The
stream will of course require a pretty fast internet connection as it is in
FLAC format (free lossless audio codec) and comes in at 1,411 kbps or
better. This is compared to 320 kbps which is what Spotify Premium
subscribers get.

The only other music service which offers this quality and which is fairly
new and not yet available in Canada is Tidal. The Deezer Elite subscription
is $19.95 a month which is the same what Tidal charges. But anybody who
purchases a Sonos Play 1, Play 3, Playbar or I believe Play 5 as well will
get a one-year free Deezer subscription. That means if you are paying for
Spotify, you can save yourself $120 a year which goes a goodly way towards
the purchase of a Play 1 or Play 3. Anyhow, below is the link to the
article
and you can of course look in the archives for my posts about Sonos and go
to www.sonos.com <http://www.sonos.com>  for more information. If you
Google
"Sonos Reviews" you will also find a lot of links for reviews of the Sonos
system from independent websites like Gizmoto, CNET and so on.

http://blog.deezer.com/press/deezer-and-sonos-bring-music-lovers-the-first-g
lobal-high-resolution-streaming-experience/

I was, by the way, told that Sonos is currently working with Tidal to offer
their service via Sonos as well. This would of course be expected since
Sonos offers access to a huge list of music services via the Sonos system.

I should also mention that accessing Deezer via Sonos is a much better
experience than Spotify because the Spotify app on Sonos is very limited
whereas Deezer gives you pretty much full access to what Deezer has to
offer. I was excited that Spotify is finally available in Canada as of a
couple of months ago and signed up for a Premium subscription, but since I
recently purchased a couple of Play 1 speakers along with a Sonos Playbar
and Sub and now activate the one-year free Deezer subscription, I am going
to cancel my Sonos Premium subscription today. I find that with these new
lossless streaming options, the amount of music available on demand
whenever
you want it and the ability to sync music to your device for off-line use
there really is less and less reason to actually go and buy the music. For
$240 a year I can have all the music I want now in lossless hi-fi format
whereas if I purchase an album via iTunes all I get is 256 kbps. Even with
Premium subscription streaming at 320 Kbps what I get is better than what I
can buy from iTunes.

If you are streaming via a computer that is connected to a set of powered
speakers or an iPhone connected to a bluetooth speaker the higher price for
Deezer Elite is of course not worth it as you won't be able to hear the
difference between 320 kbps and the lossless format. You will need
something
like a Sonos Connect Amp paired with high-end speakers or a Sonos Connect
which is hooked up to an existing high-end stereo system to fully
appreciate
this increased quality.

The following information is important for all members of the viphone list. All new members to the this list are moderated by default. If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself. The archives for this list can be searched at http://www.mail-archive.com/viphone@googlegroups.com/. --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VIPhone" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to viphone+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.