Here is my opinion on this.

Camera based color identifiers have the following problems for us.

There will likely be a different amount of light seen by the camera as you take
each picture. Thus, the object may appear to be a slightly different color than
it was the last time you took a picture of it.

You will not likely take a picture of exactly the same part of the object as
you did the last time. This would not be as much of a problem were the object a
solid color. However, if it is not, you may get a different color announcement
each time you try to capture it.

As has been said, the dedicated color devices usually have a very small opening
and you hold the material against the device thus filtering out all the light
the device does not need to determine the color. Some of them I have tried
allow you to hold down the identify button and move the device over the
surface. They may or may not announce the color change as you move, but they
may give you various tones to suggest that the color is changing. So, for
example, you may determine that the material is striped or in some other
pattern. You can then release the button and then tap it again to discover the
color. I have not played with these for a while, so they may have changed
relative to my description, but this may give you some clue as to why a
dedicated device may be more handy.

Neal