On 09/17/2010 05:28 PM, Grant Williamson wrote:
Hi,
is there way to use virt-manager to open & power on a guest OS from say
a desktop link.

i.e.
virt-manager boot "name"

Hi Grant,

"Kind of". :)

It depends upon what you want to do. "virt-manager" doesn't seem to have all of the right command line options itself, but you can probably get what you want through simple shell scripting.

For example, lets say I have a guest called "myGuest", on a remote host called "myHost".

With a simple script, you can use "virsh" to start the guest, then launch your desired viewing program to connect to it.

  Example: launch_myGuest.sh
  (NOTE: Complete lack of error checking for simplicity. :>)

  #!/bin/bash

  # Connect to the remote host using SSH, then launch the guest
  virsh -c qemu+ssh://myu...@myhost/system start myGuest

  # virt-manager needs to be given a domain's unique ID number
  # (UUID), so we retrieve that info first
  UUID=`virsh -c qemu+ssh://myu...@myhost/system domuuid myGuest`

  # Now we launch virt-manager, automatically connecting to the guest's
  # display
  virt-manager -c qemu+ssh://myu...@myhost/system \
               --show-domain-console=${UUID}

Does that help?

(btw, that would ask for the SSH password for each command being run above, so setting up ssh keys would be useful... no password promping!)

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

thanks.