On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 10:00:43AM -0700, Scott Baker wrote:
> We're in the process of building a new VM cluster that look similar to this:
>
> -----     -----
> |VM1|     |VM2|
> -----     -----
>     \ NFS /
>    ---------
>    |Backend|
>    ---------
>
> Are there any official recommendations on:

Not "official" but ...

> 1) NFS export/mount options

I used all defaults.

If you wish to migrate VMs, then you *must* use cache=none for the
VMs, as explained here: http://wiki.qemu.org/Migration/Storage

> 2) File system choice

I used ext4, but any decent fs should work fine.  Avoid btrfs.

> 3) VM image format (qcow vs raw)

It turned out that qcow2 has an amazing susceptibility to corruption,
especially when a node crashes.  So I converted my VMs to raw, because
at least if you get corruption it doesn't make the entire VM file
unreadable.

> 4) How to backup

rsync -av /var/lib/libvirt/images /mnt/backups

        - - -

I was using nfs on my cluster[1], but I'm no longer using it.  Why?
Because it's just way too slow over standard gigabit ethernet.

[1]
https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2014/04/28/caseless-virtualization-cluster-part-5/

I also used iscsi for a while, backed with logical volumes.  The iscsi
management tools are absolutely hideous, but the performance and
reliability were far better (using the precise same hardware).

        - - -

Anyway, I'm now using local disks attached to each node, and just
storing my VMs there.  Of course this means I can't easily migrate
VMs, but the performance is far superior.  My VMs are now fully
transitioned to cloud-like "cattle", using NFS mounts for shared data
(basically NFS-mounted /home and a few other mounts), so migration
isn't really much of an issue for me now.

My cloud management software in case anyone is interested:

http://git.annexia.org/?p=mclu.git;a=summary

Rich.