Rik van Riel wrote:
> Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>> The more complex host policy decisions of how to balance overall
>> memory use system-wide are much in the same for both mechanisms.
> Not at all.  Page hinting is just an optimization to host swapping, where
> IO can be avoided on many of the pages that hit the end of the LRU.
>
> No decisions have to be made at all about balancing memory use
> between guests, it just happens through regular host LRU aging.

When the host pages out a page belonging to guest A, then its making a
policy decision on how large guest A should be compared to B.  If the
policy is a global LRU on all guest pages, then that's still a policy on
guest sizes: the target size is a function of its working set, assuming
that the working set is well modelled by LRU.  I imagine that if the
guest and host are both managing their pages with an LRU-like algorithm
you'll get some nasty interactions, which page hinting tries to alleviate.

> Automatic ballooning requires that something on the host figures
> out how much memory each guest needs and sizes the guests
> appropriately.  All the proposed policies for that which I have
> seen have some nasty corner cases or are simply very limited
> in scope.

Well, you could apply something equivalent to a global LRU: ask for more
pages from guests who have the most unused pages.  (I'm not saying that
its necessarily a useful policy.)