On 01/21/2010 07:10 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Documentation/memory-barriers.txt says:
> Mandatory barriers should not be used to control SMP effects, since
> mandatory barriers unnecessarily impose overhead on UP systems.
>
> This rule applies to virtio, so let's do it correctly.

This is wrong.  A UP guest still runs in parallel with the virtio device.

smp_mb() is used for processor-vs-processor ordering, which can't happen
on UP systems, but for process-vs-device, we must use mb().

(this shows up if running a UP guest on an SMP host).

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.