On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 5:25 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <b...@au1.ibm.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-09-02 at 16:42 -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>> So here's an ugly proposal:
>>
>> Step 1: Make virtio-pci use the DMA API only on x86.  This will at
>> least fix Xen and people experimenting with virtio hardware on x86,
>> and it won't break anything, since there are no emulated IOMMUs on
>> x86.
>
> I think we should make all virtio drivers use the DMA API and just have
> different set of dma_ops. We can make a simple ifdef powerpc if needed
> in virtio-pci that force the dma-ops of the device to some direct
> "bypass" ops at init time.
>
> That way no need to select whether to use the DMA API or not, just
> always use it, and add a tweak to replace the DMA ops with the direct
> ones on the archs/platforms that need that. That was my original
> proposal and I still think it's the best approach.

I agree *except* that implementing it will be a real PITA and (I
think) can't be done without changing code in arch/.  My patches plus
an ifdef powerpc will be functionally equivalent, just uglier.

> As I said, make it always use the DMA API, but add a quirk to replace
> the dma_ops with some NULL ops on platforms that need it.
>
> The only issue with that is the location of the dma ops is arch
> specific, so that one function will contain some ifdefs, but the rest of
> the code can just use the DMA API.

Bigger quirk: on a standard s390 virtio guest configuration,
dma_map_single etc will fail to link.  I tried this in v1 of these
patches.  So we can poke at the archdata all day, but we can't build a
kernel like that :(

So until the dma_ops pointer move into struct device and
CONFIG_HAS_DMA becomes mandatory (or mandatory enough that virtio can
depend on it), I don't think we can do it this way.

I'll send a v5 that is the same as v4 except with physical addressing
hardcoded in for powerpc.

--Andy