On 10/29/2014 11:37 AM, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> While testing various nested combinations, XenServer has found that
> modern Windows Server versions must have the hypervisor bit hidden from
> them for them to be happy running HyperV, despite the fact that they
> will make use of the Viridian virtual extensions also provided.

Right.

> As a result, while it is certainly advisable for the hypervisor bit to
> be set, CommonHV should be available to be found by paravirtualised
> drivers inside an OS which can't cope with the hypervisor bit set.

Microsoft should just stop putting arbitrary limitations on their
software; or pay the price which, in this case, is not being able to use
the features from the common specification.  I guess what they'd do is
reinvent the RNG as a Viridian extension (if they need it).

You can certainly do CPUID(0x4F000000) even if HYPERVISOR=0.  What you
get back is undefined, but in all likelihood it won't be the
"CommonHVIntf" string.

Paolo