On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin <m...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 09:24:10PM +0100, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 8:25 PM, Kay Sievers <k...@vrfy.org> wrote:

>> > Nice, thanks. That means we can just "jump over" the "virtio*" device
>> > (device as in sysfs view), and let the pci parent let identify the
>> > device.
>> >
>> > Background: The logic for device naming generally refuses to touch
>> > devices with unknown parent devices in the chain (the directories you
>> > see for: ls -l /sys/class/net/), because the parents *could* offer
>> > their own bus logic that exposes multiple devices below and we would
>> > create clashing names for them. That's why the virt vs. non-virt case
>> > needs to be handled explicitly (seems in this case by just skipping
>> > it) and it is not necessarily by default the same behaviour.
>>
>> So Kay and I discussed this a bit more, and found that we likely
>> cannot handle virtio nic's nicely. As we would name them based on the
>> pci geo, we rely on this being stable between reboots and when
>> adding/removing hardware. Is there some way to make this work with
>> virtio, or will the 'fake' pci busses simply be enumerated as they are
>> created?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tom
>
> I think it's standard PCI thing.
> Some pci bridges have a slot id register - I'm assuming you
> are using these if present?
>
> If not you'll either need to rely on firmware enumerating buses
> consistently, or use the mac of the NIC.

Hi Michael,

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but this suddenly became
relevant again and I see that we never really reached a conclusion.
Rereading the discussion it is still not really clear to me what the
API promise is, so let me try to rephrase what we need and hopefully
you can help me understand where we are at.

My understanding is that the enumeration of virtioX buses is global
rather than local to the direct parent device of a given bus. That
means that we cannot base deterministic naming of child devices
(functions) on virtio enumeration, as the names would then depend on
the presence or absence of unrelated virtio buses on the system.

We have two options that would allow us to get around this:

1) if there is a guarantee now and in the future (even if only
restricted to netdevs) that no virtio bus will have a direct sibling
bus (i.e., with the same parent device); or
2) if the enumeration of virtio buses was extended with a "port"
numebr which was guaranteed to be made local to their direct parent
device and moreover be made deterministic. I.e., if there are no
virtio sibling buses (but there may be other unrelated virtio buses)
the name would always be virtioX.0, and if there are two buses with
the same parent their names would always be virtioX.0 and virtioX.1
and always in the same order.

Is either of those things something that is already guaranteed or
something that could be made working?

Cheers,

Tom