On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 09:18:34AM +0800, JeffleXu wrote:

> On 7/16/21 8:51 AM, Vivek Goyal wrote:

> >> Thanks for the patch, it looks good to me.
> >>
> >> I think it's a good starting point, what I'd like to discuss here is
> >> whether we're going to let chattr to toggle the dax flag.
> >
> > I have the same question. Why not take chattr approach as taken
> > by ext4/xfs as well.
> >
> > Vivek
>
> Thanks.
>
> We can implement the chattr approach as ext4/xfs do, if we have this use
> scenario. It's an RFC patch, and I want to collect more feedback as soon
> as possible.

I guess chattr approach will allow client (as well as server) to control
which files should be DAX. While this approach allows only server to
specify which files should use DAX. Given currently we let client
control whether to use dax or not (-o dax), it probably will make
sense to use chattr based approach?

I will look at the patches. Do you have a corresponding user space
implementation somewhere so that I can test it?

Vivek