bryan rasmussen wrote:
So, If I have a database already established without necessarily a lot
of documentation about that database and you want to add some new
structure to the RDF, what process would be the best practice for
doing that?

If I follow what you're asking for correctly, ...

I'm thinking sort of a step 1, step 2, step 3 type methodology, for example
"well step 1 I like to run this Sparql query here that dumps all
unique RDF structures so I know what I'm dealing with" (note: suspect
it is probably impossible to have such a query but figured I would
give an example)

SELECT distinct ?g
WHERE {
  GRAPH ?g {
      ?s ?p ?o
  }
}

will list all the graphs in the store (may take a while).

You could always use the RDF Browser[0] to take this further.

step 2, I use the following tools to automate updating all RDF already
in the database with the new data where applicable

Well, if you store graphs such that their IRI = the URL from which the resource was gleaned, then a simple stored-procedure looping over the results of the above query, invoked by the scheduler at regular intervals, can re-get all the RDF data.

step 3, ah there isn't any.

Correct. Just remember to check your work in iSPARQL or similar :)

HTH,

~Tim

[0] http://ode.openlinksw.com/

--