Hi Abhi,

Although O_DIRECT can be enabled for those OS'es that support it, testing
performed by development has shown no evidence of performance improvements
hosting large databases on any of the OS;es  tested on.

If testing on Linux their is a kernel configuration called "swappiness" that
controls how much the kernel favors swap over RAM:

http://www.linuxvox.com/2009/10/what-is-the-linux-kernel-parameter-vm-swappiness/

When hosting large datasets, as you are, it is recommended this parameter be
changed from is default value of 60 to something like 10, which is what we use
on the dbpedia and lod etc services we host, to reduce that amount of swapping
that takes please on the server.

Note:

1. The swappiness setting resides in the file "/proc/sys/vm/swappiness"
2. The command "/sbin/sysctl vm.swappiness" can be used to view its setting
3. The command "/sbin/sysctl -w vm.swappiness=10" can be used to change its
value
4. Adding the "vm.swappiness = 10" to the file "/etc/sysctl.conf" will force
the value to be set at machine boot time.

Let me know if his helps.

Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Support: http://support.openlinksw.com
Forums: http://boards.openlinksw.com/support