I want to try to use Virtuoso for a private web application (non-commercial),
but since this is a virtual host (Linux), it doesn't have much memory available.

Running Virtuoso on my laptop (MacOS X) I see it consistently use 400-600M of
RAM, which is too much for this particular use case. The graph I'll be working
with has ~120,000 triples. It may grow a bit, but that's the order of magnitude
we're talking about.

I found this page:
  http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/dbadm.html

which documents some parameters that can be used to tweak the memory usage. I
haven't changed any of these from the defaults, because as the defaults stand
we should use 16M for buffers and 1M for threads. That leaves something like
380M used by things not controlled by these parameters.

There seems little point in trying to tweak the parameters, because either they
don't affect the memory usage much, or I don't understand what they mean.

Should I expect to be able to run Virtuoso with this sort of memory usage at
all, or should I just give up? Will Linux memory usage be different? Are there
any parameters I should try modifying?

--Lars M.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/tmphoto/
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/