So, the problem with this was within my web application, where I cast
javax.sql.DataSource to virtuoso.jdbc4.VirtuosoDataSource.
With that corrected, JavaMelody is able to monitor the data source.

From: Davis, Daniel (NIH/NLM) [C]
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 2:33 PM
To: virtuoso-users <virtuoso-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Virtuoso-users] Java Melody with Virtuoso

Has anyone out there done a plugin so that Java Melody can monitor Virtuoso
JDBC connections?
I have a semantic web application using Virtuoso behind Jena behind Spring, and
I have Java Melody monitoring it.

It would be great to have Melody collect information on queries, but I'm not
likely to implement that myself.

Dan Davis, Systems/Applications Architect (Contractor),
Office of Computer and Communications Systems,
National Library of Medicine, NIH