On 11/11/2016 04:28 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 11/10/16 1:39 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>> So when you implied that
>> wd:Q24227 a wikibase:Item ;
>>  wdt:P625 "<http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q111> Point(351.83
>> -14.47)"^^geo:wktLiteral .
>> had an invalid triple you didn't really mean that.
>>
>> peter
>
> I did, but I was speaking in terms of SPARQL as opposed to GeoSPARQL.
>
> Kingsley

I am puzzled as to how SPARQL has got into this discussion.  The literal above
is an RDF literal and, as such, should be considered in the context of RDF,
not SPARQL.

As far as RDF is concerned the above literal is valid.  In fact there is no
notion of an invalid literal in RDF at all.  If the datatype of a literal is
not recognized by the RDF implementation then literal is still acceptable.  If
the datatype of a literal is recognized by the RDF implementation and the
lexical value is not in the lexical space of the datatype then the literal is
ill-typed but the implementation still MUST accept it and produce an RDF graph
from it.  To do otherwise is to violate the RDF specification.

This is all spelled out in
https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#section-Graph-Literal

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Nuance Communications