This is part 2 of a 5 part document. This newsletter is never sent out
unsolicited. UNSUBSCRIBE instructions can be found at
http://www.visalaw.com/subscribe2.html. The complete newsletter will also
be posted shortly at http://www.visalaw.com/bulletin/ if you do not receive
each part. Please do not send requests to resend individual parts.
_______________________________________

THIS NEWSLETTER PART CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING ARTICLES:

8. PRESIDENT CLINTON SETS IMMIGRATION GOALS IN STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS
9. SURGE IN ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION OVER CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY
10. YEAR END TOTALS OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION TO U.S.
11. GOVERNMENT PROCESSING TIMES
12. STATE DEPARTMENT VISA BULLETIN
13. NEWS BYTES
_______________________________________

8. PRESIDENT CLINTON SETS IMMIGRATION GOALS IN STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS

President Clinton gave the annual State of the Union address to the
Congress and the country on January 19, 1999.  In a speech that focused on
how we today we can ensure a safe and prosperous 21st century, the
President addressed a few immigration issues.  He recognized the important
role that immigrants play in the American economy, and that the U.S. has a
responsibility to make them welcome.  The President also stated that
immigrants have a responsibility to enter the mainstream of American life,
by learning English and learning about our system of government.  He
further noted, however, that because of a broken down citizenship
application process "there are now long waiting lines of immigrants that
are trying to do just that."  In order to improve immigration in the U.S.,
President Clinton proposed a budget increase for the INS.
_______________________________________

9. SURGE IN ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION OVER CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY

Over a 72-hour period, from Friday, December 25 to Sunday, December 27, 82
undocumented aliens were picked up off the coast of south Florida.  The
U.S. Border Patrol has stated that it believes the reason for the increase
was the refugees' miscalculation that the coastline would not be as well
guarded over the holidays.

According to Keith Roberts, Miami Border Patrol Assistant Chief, there have
been similar surges in the number of people attempting to enter Florida
each of the past to Christmas seasons.

The Mexican border, on the other hand, saw a decline in illegal border
crossings.  Many undocumented Mexicans and Central Americans return home
for the Christmas holiday, and in January there is a surge in the number of
illegal immigrants coming to the U.S.

_______________________________________

10. YEAR END TOTALS OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION TO U.S.

The Immigration and Naturalization Service has published its annual report
showing statistics for immigration to the United States. The report shows a
sharp decrease in the number of immigration applications processed,
something which probably stems from the overall breakdown at the INS which
has caused processing times for applications to come to a virtual crawl.
The INS report can be accessed from the Documents Collection of our web
site at http://www.visalaw.com/docs.

_______________________________________

11. GOVERNMENT PROCESSING TIMES

Source: American Immigration Lawyers Association

Note: We publish all processing times available to us and will not be able
to answer individual requests for processing time. Also, please note that
these statistics are reported by the INS and we do not vouch for their
authenticity.

The following is the Nebraska Service Center Processing Time Report for the
period ending December 30, 1998:
                                              Receipt Notice
                                              Processing

Processing      Time
                              for Initial     in Days
Application/Petition Type     Receipt Date

                                  From       To
I-90 Replacement Card   04/01/98              269        299
I-90ASaw                None Pending          30         60
I-102 Replacement
  of Arrival Document   02/11/98              319        349
I-129/S New
  Amended NI Worker     11/10/98              30         45
I-129/F Fiance(e)       11/05/98              55         85
I-130 Spouse US         10/30/98              60         90
I-130 Spouse            01/09/98              351        381
I-130 Other Relatives   07/14/98              166        196
I-131 Reentry Permit/
  Ref Travel Doc        10/02/98              60         90
I-131 Advance Parole    11/30/98              30         60
I-140 Immigrant Worker  09/23/98              97         127
I-360 Pet for Widow/
  Spec. Imm.            10/06/98              84         114
I-485 Employment        12/08/97              382        412
I-485 Asylee            07/09/98              150        200
I-485 Refugee           07/22/98              150       200
I-526 Investor          07/23/98              157       187
I-539 Change/
  Extend NI Status      07/10/98              170       200
I-589 Asylum            Not adjudicated       15        30
I-698 Legalization
  -Adj to LPR           None pending          15        45
I-730 Refugee
  /Asylee Relative Pet. 07/10/98              170       200
I-751 Remove Conditions 09/29/98              91        121
I-765 Employment
  Authorization-A5      11/06/98              54        84
I-765 Employment
  Authorization-Other   09/10/98              110       140
I-817 Family Unity      12/31/97              360       390
I-824 Actions of
  Approved Petitions    07/02/98              178       208
I-829 Removal
  Conditions (Investors)04/27/98              243       273
N-400 Naturalization    Not Adjudicated       540       600
N-600 Application
  for Citizenship       Not Adjudicated       15        120
I-724 All Waivers       07/20/98              160       190Total Pending
Applications
(All types, pending first time adj.) 92,981

Vermont Service Center Processing Time ReportThe following is the Vermont
Service Center Processing Time Report for the period ending December 31, 1998:

                                                  Receipt Notice
                               Processing         Processing Time
                               for Initial        in Days
Application/Petition Type      Receipt Date       From      To
Business & Non-Immigration Services
I-102                          Current            15        30
I-129/S New Amended NI Worker  12/03/98           15        30
I-140 Immigrant Worker         09/29/98           15        30
I-360 Pet for Widow/Spec Imm   09/10/98           60        180
I-526 Investor                 Current            60        180
I-539 Change/Extend NI Status  11/19/98           30        60
I-724 Waiver                   Current            15        30
I-829                          Current            30        180

Family Services

I-129(F) Fiance (e)            Current            15        21
I-130 Immed Rel                12/21/98           60        90
I-130 Preference               06/01/98           200       240
I-751 Remove Conditions        Current            30        45
I-817 Family Fairness          Current            30        60
I-824 Actions of
  Approved Petitions           Current            60        90

Resident Status Services

I-90-A Saw                     Current            30        60
I-131 12/10/98 30 90
I-485 Adjustment               12/14/97           120       180
I-589                          Current            1         5
I-698 Legalization-
  Adjustment to LPR            Current            30        60
I-765 Employment
  Authorization-Asylum Based   12/17/98           30        60
I-765 Employment
  Authorization-Other          12/07/98           30        60
N-400 Naturalization-
  Initial Processing           12/28/98           120       180
N-600 Application
  for Citizenship              11/30/98           60        90
I-90 Replacement Card          12/12/97           30        90

California Service Center Processing Times as of January 21, 1999

PETITION TYPE          DATA ENTRY DATE

I-129 H-1 EOS          11/3/98 I-129 H-2/H3           1/14/99
I-129 R                8/26/98I-129 E                6/26/98 I-129 O/P/Q
        1/14/99I-129L                 12/30/98 I-129 H1B COS          11/10/98
I-765 Special Students 12/10/98
I-765, Non-Immigrant   12/3/98
I-131                  1/12/99 I-360
  FPL/Widows/Widowers  12/17/98 I-360
  BPL/Religious        2/9/98
I-539                  6/30/98
I-140                  6/29/98
I-130 M/C
  (Imm. Relative*)     11/2/98 I-130 Spouse (IR)      10/19/98
I-817 Extensions       7/6/98
I-90                   7/17/98 I-824 BPL              9/9/98
I-824 FPL              2/4/98 I-824 RPL              10/5/98
I-765 (c)(8)(a)(11)    11/24/98
I-751                  11/9/98 I-765 (c)(9)           9/23/98
I-485, (JIT Ready)
  Health Care Workers   Included             10/15/97

*Does not include preference aliens

_______________________________________

12. STATE DEPARTMENT VISA BULLETIN

1. This bulletin summarizes the availability of immigrant numbers during
February. Consular officers are required to report to the Department of
State documentarily qualified applicants for numerically limited visas; the
Immigration and Naturalization Service reports applicants for adjustment of
status. Allocations were made, to the extent possible under the numerical
limitations, for the demand received by January 11th in the chronological
order of the reported priority dates. If the demand could not be satisfied
within the statutory or regulatory limits, the category or foreign state in
which demand was excessive was deemed oversubscribed. The cut-off date for
an oversubscribed category is the priority date of the first applicant who
could not be reached within the numerical limits. Only applicants who have
a priority date earlier than the cut-off date may be allotted a number.
Immediately that it becomes necessary during the monthly allocation process
to retrogress a cut-off date, supplemental requests for numbers will be
honored only if the priority date falls within the new cut-off date.

2. Section 201 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) sets an annual
minimum family-sponsored preference limit of 226,000. The worldwide level
for annual employment-based preference immigrants is at least 140,000.
Section 202 prescribes that the per-country limit for preference immigrants
is set at 7% of the total annual family-sponsored and employment-based
preference limits, i.e., 25,620. The dependent area limit is set at 2%, or
7,320.

3. Section 203 of the INA prescribes preference classes for allotment of
immigrant visas as follows:

FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCES

First: Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Citizens: 23,400 plus any numbers
not required for fourth preference.

Second: Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent
Residents: 114,200, plus the number (if any) by which the worldwide family
preference level exceeds 226,000, and any unused first preference numbers:

A. Spouses and Children: 77% of the overall second preference limitation,
of which 75% are exempt from the per-country limit;

B. Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older): 23% of the
overall second preference limitation.

Third: Married Sons and Daughters of Citizens: 23,400, plus any numbers not
required by first and second preferences.

Fourth: Brothers and Sisters of Adult Citizens: 65,000, plus any numbers
not required by first three preferences.

EMPLOYMENT-BASED PREFERENCES

First: Priority Workers: 28.6% of the worldwide employment-based preference
level, plus any numbers not required for fourth and fifth preferences.

Second: Members of the Professions Holding Advanced Degrees or Persons of
Exceptional Ability: 28.6% of the worldwide employment-based preference
level, plus any numbers not required by first preference.

Third: Skilled Workers, Professionals, and Other Workers: 28.6% of the
worldwide level, plus any numbers not required by first and second
preferences, not more than 10,000 of which to "Other Workers."

Fourth: Certain Special Immigrants: 7.1% of the worldwide level.

Fifth: Employment Creation: 7.1% of the worldwide level, not less than
3,000 of which reserved for investors in a targeted rural or
high-unemployment area, and 3,000 set aside for investors in regional
centers by Sec. 610 of P.L. 102-395.

4. INA Section 203(e) provides that family-sponsored and employment-based
preference visas be issued to eligible immigrants in the order in which a
petition in behalf of each has been filed. Section 203(d) provides that
spouses and children of preference immigrants are entitled to the same
status, and the same order of consideration, if accompanying or following
to join the principal. The visa prorating provisions of Section 202(e)
apply to allocations for a foreign state or dependent area when visa demand
exceeds the per-country limit. These provisions apply at present to the
following oversubscribed chargeability areas:

CHINA-mainland born, INDIA, MEXICO, and PHILIPPINES.

5. On the chart below, the listing of a date for any class indicates that
the class is oversubscribed (see paragraph 1); "C" means current, i.e.,
numbers are available for all qualified applicants; and "U" means
unavailable, i.e., no numbers are available.
(NOTE: Numbers are available only for applicants whose priority date is
earlier than the cut-off date listed below.)

PREFERENCES

                  All Charge-
                  ability Areas       CHINA-
                  Except Those     mainland
                  Listed                      born       INDIA    MEXICO
PHILIPPINES
Family

1st                22SEP97         22SEP97   22SEP97   01AUG93   08MAY87

2A*                15JUL94         15JUL94   15JUL94   22JUN93   15JUL94

2B                 01APR92         01APR92   01APR92   08JUL91   01APR92

3rd                22JUN95         22JUN95   22JUN95   08JUN90   01APR87

4th                22MAY88         22MAY88   01JUN86   01DEC87   01SEP78

*NOTE: For February, 2A numbers EXEMPT from per-country limit are available
to applicants from all countries with priority dates earlier than 22JUN93.
2A numbers SUBJECT to per-country limit are available to applicants
chargeable to all countries EXCEPT MEXICO with priority dates beginning
22JUN93 and earlier than 15JUL94. (All 2A numbers provided for MEXICO are
exempt from the per-country limit; there are no 2A numbers for MEXICO
subject to per-country limit.)

                  All Charge-
                  ability Areas          CHINA-
                  Except Those         mainland
                  Listed                      born      INDIA     MEXICO
  PHILIPPINES
Employment-Based

1st                    C        15DEC97      C        C             C

2nd                    C        22JUL96   08AUG97     C             C

3rd                    C        08NOV94   22JAN96     C             C

Other             08MAY92     08MAY92   08MAY92  08MAY92       08MAY92
Workers

4th                    C           C         C        C             C

Certain                C           C         C        C             C
Religious
Workers

5th                    C        01DEC97      C        C             C

Targeted Employ-       C        01DEC97      C        C             C
ment Areas/
Regional Centers

The Department of State has available a recorded message with visa
availability information which can be heard at (202) 663-1541. This
recording will be updated in the middle of each month with information on
cut-off dates for the following month.

B. DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT (DV) CATEGORY

Section 203(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides 50,000
immigrant visas each fiscal year to permit immigration opportunities for
persons from countries other than the principal sources of current
immigration to the United States. DV visas are divided among six geographic
regions. Not more than 3,500 visas (7% of the 50,000 visa limit) may be
provided to immigrants from any one country.

For February, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to
qualified DV-99 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as
follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available
only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the
specified allocation cut-off number:

                 All DV Charge-
                 ability Areas
                 Except Those
                 Listed Separately
Region

AFRICA           AF  14,601

ASIA             AS   4,105

EUROPE           EU  11,710      EXCEPT:   ALBANIA  EU 6,622

NORTH AMERICA    NA      24
  (BAHAMAS)

OCEANIA          OC     442

SOUTH AMERICA,   SA   1,702
  CENTRAL AMERICA,
  and the CARIBBEAN

Entitlement to immigrant status in the DV category lasts only through the
end of the fiscal (visa) year for which the applicant is selected in the
lottery. The year of entitlement for all applicants registered for the
DV-99 program ends as of September 30, 1999. DV visas may not be issued to
DV-99 applicants after that date. Similarly, spouses and children
accompanying or following to join DV-99 principals are only entitled to
derivative DV status until September 30, 1999. DV visa availability through
the very end of FY-1999 cannot be taken for granted. Numbers could be
exhausted prior to September 30. Once all numbers provided by law for the
DV-99 program have been used, no further issuances will be possible.

_______________________________________

13. NEWS BYTES

An internal report of the INS, made public by Representative Henry Bonilla
of San Antonio, instructed its 28,000 employees to expect financially
tighter times in the immediate future.  According to Russ Bergeron, chief
spokesman for the INS, the budget crunch is expected to be of very short
duration, and that no critical functions would suffer.  The internal
report, however, warns that the budget for the central region of the Border
Patrol, which includes Texas, is to be sliced 31% from its 1998 level.
This would mean 20% fewer agents stationed in the Rio Grande Valley and 15%
fewer in the city of San Antonio.  Rep. Bonilla has asked INS Commissioner
Doris Meissner whether the report is true.  According to the INS, the cash
shortage is the result of difficulty implementing temporary funding until
the start of 1999.  The INS budget for fiscal year 1999 is $3.9 billion, up
$198 million from 1998.

A former INS employee has been convicted of embezzling over $100,000 over a
period of three years.  Joanna Picardi was found to have engaged in a
scheme where she would steal checks submitted as filing fees, alter them,
and use them to pay off her credit card bills.  She was sentenced to three
years of probation, with the first six months to be served in house arrest.

The INS has announced an interim policy of dealing with I-485 applications
for children who are about to age out of visa eligibility because they are
turning 21 and, who have G-325s pending and fingerprints on file.  In
deciding whether to expedite adjudication of these petitions, INS examiners
are being directed to consider the timeliness of the filing and the age of
the child.  When the child's petition is adjudicated, the petitions of all
the child's family members also pending should be adjudicated.  The purpose
of this interim policy is to ensure that these children will not suffer due
to the current G-325 backlog.The American Immigration Lawyers Association
is reporting that the INS and the CIA have made progress in handling
backlogged fingerprints and that the hold on I-485 cases has been pushed
forward to apply to cases filed after May 1, 1998. AILA made the very
sensible suggestion to the INS that it consider extending advance parole
approvals to 18 months to cut down extension applications. The INS is
considering the request. The Department of Labor will soon have an
automated LCA processing system in place that will enable applicants to get
stamped forms back in mere seconds. If all goes as planned, the eastern
half of the country by the end of this month and the West Coast by next
month. Watch for more news on this as it becomes available.

The American Immigration Lawyers Association is reporting that INS
personnel at the four INS service centers have been improperly rejecting
H-1B amendment cases NOT subject to the $500 supplemental fee. The INS
indicated that it would bring the matter to the attention of the
independent contractor workers who work the service center mailrooms. The
INS is advising attorneys to place the words "Amended Petition Not Subject
to the $500 Training Fee" in bold type or marker on the I-129 and on the
new I-129W form (which must be submitted even the form does not cover
amended petitions). The INS claims it is nearly finished with its Y2K
testing at the four regional service centers and at INS Headquarters. New
software designed to resolve Y2K problems have actually had their own new
bugs and the INS now has to contend with them. But the INS claims that it
will not adversely impact service center processing.