This is part 4 of a 7 part document. This newsletter is never sent out
unsolicited and is only sent to people who have subscribed. UNSUBSCRIBE
instructions can be found at http://www.visalaw.com/subscribe2.html. The
complete newsletter will also be posted shortly at
http://www.visalaw.com/bulletin/ if you do not receive each part. Please do not
send requests to resend individual parts.

15. GOVERNMENT PROCESSING TIMES (cont.)

Texas Service Center Processing Times

The following is the Texas Service Center Processing Times Report for the
period ending January 31, 1999:

                                                            No. of cases
Days to     Process.    in the Work
                                Initial     Receipt     Time/Days
Distribution
Application/Petition    Process.        Date            From    To      Unit

I-90 Replacement Card   409             12/17/97        575     450     62,344
I-90A Saw               0               Current     120 180     0
I-102 Replacement of
Arrival Doc             0           11/27/98    60      90      0
I-129/S New/Amended NI
Worker                  2               01/29/89        30      60      216
I-129/L New             0           Current     30      40      0
I-129 Other             0           Current     150     250     0
I-129(F) Fiance(e)      6           01/25/99    30      40      0
I-130 Spouse            271             04/29/98        180     270     28,321
I-130 Other Relative    462             11/20/97        425     475     37,957
I-131 Advance Parole    na              Current     10  20      0
I-140 Immigrant Worker
(1st & 2nd)             304             03/16/98        275     350     5,130
I-140 Immigrant Worker
(3rd)                   228             05/15/98        200     275     2,581
I-360 Petition for
Widow/Spec. Imm.        381             01/19/98        240     400     1,234
I-485 Adjustment        455         11/01/97    425     500     58,488
I-526 Investor          321             03/09/98        300     375     71
I-539 Chg/Ext NI Stat.-
Employment-Based        00              Current     90  120     60
I-539 Cg/Ext NI Stat.-
Other                   155             08/26/98        150     200     15,729
I-589 Asylum            n/a             Current 30      60      00
I-698 Legal-Adj to LPR  469             11/15/97        450     525     458
I-724 Waivers           n/a             Current     60  90      00
I-730 Ref/Asylee Relative Pet.  na      filed at NSC
I-751 Remove Conditions 22              01/08/99        60      90      138
I-765 Employment Auth.-
Asylum Based            n/a             Current 15      30      00
I-765 Employment Auth.-
Other                   00              Current     60  90      00
I-817 Family Unity      237             06/04/98        180     270
1,436
I-824 Actions on
Approved Pet.           18              01/13/99        120     180     3
I-829 Remove Conditions-
Investor                235             06/03/98        200     250     99
N-400 Naturalization    n/a             Preprocess      550     730

Vermont Service Center Processing Time Report

The following is the Vermont Service Center Processing Time Report for the
period ending December 31, 1998:

Processing      Processing Time
                                                for Initial     in Days
Application/Petition Type               Receipt Date From       To

Business & Non-Immigration Services

I-102                                           Current 15      30
I-129/S New Amended NI Worker           12/03/98        15      30
I-140 Immigrant Worker                  09/29/98        15      30
I-360 Pet for Widow/Spec Imm            09/10/98        60      180
I-526 Investor                          Current 60      180
I-539 Change/Extend NI Status           11/19/98        30      60
I-724 Waiver                            Current 15      30
I-829                                           Current 30      180

Family Services

I-129(F) Finance (e)                    Current 15      21
I-130 Immed Rel                         12/21/98        60      90
I-130 Preference                                06/01/98        200     240
I-751 Remove Conditions                 Current 30      45
I-817 Family Fairness                   Current 30      60
I-824 Actions of Approved Petitions     Current 60      90

Resident Status Services

I-90-A Saw                                      Current 30      60
I-131                                           12/10/98        30      90
I-485 Adjustment                                12/14/97        120     180
I-589                                           Current 1       5
I-698 Legalization-Adjustment to
   LPR                              Current     30      60
I-765 Employment
   Authorization-Asylum Based         12/17/98  30      60
I-765 Employment
   Authorization-Other              12/07/98    30      60
N-400 Naturalization
   -Initial Processing              12/28/98    120     180
N-600 Application for Citizenship   11/30/98    60      90
I-90 Replacement Card               12/12/97    30      90

16. STATE DEPARTMENT VISA BULLETIN

VISA BULLETIN

Number 3
Volume VIII
Washington, D.C.

IMMIGRANT NUMBERS FOR MARCH 1999

A.  STATUTORY NUMBERS

1.  This bulletin summarizes the availability of immigrant numbers during March

Consular officers are required to report to the Department of State
documentarily qualified applicants for numerically limited visas; the
Immigration and Naturalization Service reports applicants for adjustment of
status.  Allocations were made, to the extent possible under the numerical
limitations, for the demand received by February 8th in the chronological order
of the reported priority dates. If the demand could not be satisfied within the
statutory or regulatory limits, the category or foreign state in which demand
was excessive was deemed oversubscribed.  The cut-off date for an
oversubscribed category is the priority date of the first applicant who could
not be reached within the numerical limits.  Only applicants who have a
priority date earlier than the cut-off date may be allotted a number.
Immediately that it becomes necessary during the monthly allocation process to
retrogress a cut-off date, supplemental requests for numbers will be honored
only if the priority date falls within the new cut-off date.

1.      Section 201 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) sets an
annual
minimum family-sponsored preference limit of 226,000.  The worldwide level for
annual employment-based preference immigrants is at least 140,000.  Section 202
prescribes that the per-country limit for preference immigrants is set at 7% of
the total annual family-sponsored and employment-based preference limits, i.e.,
25,620.  The dependent area limit is set at 2%, or 7,320.

3.  Section 203 of the INA prescribes preference classes for allotment of
immigrant visas as follows:

FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCES

First: Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Citizens: 23,400 plus any numbers not
required for fourth preference.

Second: Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent
Residents:  114,200, plus the number (if any) by which the worldwide family
preference level exceeds 226,000, and any unused first preference numbers:

A.  Spouses and Children: 77% of the overall second preference limitation, of
which 75% are exempt from the per-country limit;

B.  Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older): 23% of the overall
second preference limitation.

Third: Married Sons and Daughters of Citizens: 23,400, plus any numbers not
required by first and second preferences.

Fourth:  Brothers and Sisters of Adult Citizens: 65,000, plus any numbers not
required by first three preferences.

EMPLOYMENT-BASED PREFERENCES

First:  Priority Workers: 28.6% of the worldwide employment-based preference
level, plus any numbers not required for fourth and fifth preferences.

Second: Members of the Professions Holding Advanced Degrees or Persons of
Exceptional Ability: 28.6% of the worldwide employment-based preference level,
plusany numbers not required by first preference.

Third: Skilled Workers, Professionals, and Other Workers: 28.6% of the
worldwide
level, plus any numbers not required by first and second preferences, not more
than 10,000 of which to "Other Workers."

Fourth: Certain Special Immigrants: 7.1% of the worldwide level.

Fifth: Employment Creation: 7.1% of the worldwide level, not less than 3,000 of
which reserved for investors in a targeted rural or high-unemployment area, and
3,000 set aside for investors in regional centers by Sec. 610 of P.L. 102-395.

4.  INA Section 203(e) provides that family-sponsored and employment-based
preference visas be issued to eligible immigrants in the order in which a
petition in behalf of each has been filed.  Section 203(d) provides that
spouses and children of preference immigrants are entitled to the same status,
and the same order of consideration, if accompanying or following to join the
principal.  The visa prorating provisions of Section 202(e) apply to
allocations for a foreign state or dependent area when visa demand exceeds the
per-country limit.  These provisions apply at present to the following
oversubscribed chargeability areas: CHINA-mainland born, INDIA, MEXICO, and
PHILIPPINES.

5.  On the chart below, the listing of a date for any class indicates that the
class is oversubscribed (see paragraph 1); "C" means current, i.e., numbers are
available for all qualified applicants; and "U" means unavailable, i.e., no
numbers are available.  (NOTE:  Numbers are available only for applicants whose
priority date is earlier than the cut-off date listed below.)

PREFERENCES

                  All Charge-
                  ability Areas     CHINA-
                  Except Those      mainland
                  Listed            born       INDIA     MEXICO
PHILIPPINES
Family

1st                15OCT97         15OCT97     15OCT97  01AUG93     08JUN87

2A*                22AUG94         22AUG94     22AUG94  22JUL93     22AUG94

2B                 22APR92         22APR92     22APR92  15JUL91     22APR92

3rd                08JUL95         08JUL95     08JUL95   22JUL90     22APR87

4th                08JUN88         08JUN88     01JUN86  08JAN88     08OCT78

*NOTE:  For March, 2A numbers EXEMPT from per-country limit are available to
applicants from all countries with priority dates earlier than 22JUL93.  2A
numbers SUBJECT to per-country limit are available to applicants chargeable to
all countries EXCEPT MEXICO with priority dates beginning 22JUL93 and earlier
than 22AUG94.  (All 2A numbers provided for MEXICO are exempt from the
per-country limit; there are no 2A numbers for MEXICO subject to per-country
limit.)

                  All Charge-
                  ability Areas CHINA-
                  Except Those  mainland
                  Listed              born        INDIA    MEXICO
PHILIPPINES
Employment-
Based

1st                    C        22JAN98     C      C           C
2nd                    C        08SEP96 08SEP97  C         C

3rd                    C        01JAN95 08FEB96  C         C

  Other           01JUL92     01JUL92     01JUL92  01JUL92   01JUL92
    Workers

4th                    C           C           C           C         C

  Certain              C           C           C           C         C
    Religious
    Workers

5th                    C        15JAN98    C       C         C

  Targeted Employ-     C        15JAN98    C       C         C
    ment Areas/
    Regional Centers

The Department of State has available a recorded message with visa availability
information which can be heard at (202) 663-1541.  This recording will be
updated in the middle of each month with information on cut-off dates for the
following month.

B. DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT (DV) CATEGORY

Section 203(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides 50,000
immigrant visas each fiscal year to permit immigration opportunities
for persons from countries other than the principal sources of current
immigration to the United States.  DV visas are divided among six
geographic regions.  Not more than 3,500 visas (7% of the 50,000 visa
limit) may be provided to immigrants from any one country.

For March, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified
DV-99
applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an
allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants
with DV
regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:

                 All DV Charge-
                 ability Areas
                 Except Those
  Region         Listed Separately

  AFRICA              AF 17,048

  ASIA                AS  4,661

  EUROPE              EU 14,490      EXCEPT:    ALBANIA  EU 8,876

  NORTH AMERICA       NA     24
   (BAHAMAS)

  OCEANIA             OC    543

  SOUTH AMERICA,      SA  1,850
    CENTRAL AMERICA,
    and the CARIBBEAN

Entitlement to immigrant status in the DV category lasts only through the end
of the fiscal (visa) year for which the applicant is selected in the lottery.
The year of entitlement for all applicants registered for the DV-99 program
ends as of September 30, 1999.  DV visas may not be issued to DV-99 applicants
after that date.

Similarly, spouses and children accompanying or following to join DV-99
principals are only entitled to derivative DV status until September 30, 1999.
DV visa availability through the very end of FY-1999 cannot be taken for
granted.  Numbers could be exhausted prior to September 30. Once all numbers
provided by law for the DV-99 program have been used, no further issuances will
be possible.

C. VISA SERVICES AT ISTANBUL, TURKEY

The Consulate General at Istanbul, Turkey processes only NONIMMIGRANT
visas other than Fiance (K) visas.  IMMIGRANT and FIANCE (K) visa
services for residents of Turkey are provided by the American Embassy at
Ankara, Turkey.  This information is noted because many inquiries being
received at Istanbul concern categories which that office does not
handle.